Old Master Painting Method

Hi.......

           This post I thought I’ll tell you guys how I paint and since I started the volunteer work at The Wallace Collection I am more determined to learn about eighteenth and nineteenth-century French paintings and their technique. For now I mostly like the Dutch and Flemish method of painting, which is also known as 7 layer method. As the name says it all it’s done with multitude of paint layers (not just 7!!) of transparent oil paints. I learnt this method by reading about Rembrandt, Rubens and other artists of the 17 -18th century. Also I bought DVD lessons from Johnnie Liliedahl (who has some excellent old master reproductions DVD lessons) and Alexei Antonov's video Workshop “Claret Grapes". These video lessons did help me in improving my technique and brush-work and the most importantly in understanding the colour mixing for old master paintings.

Umber final layer

Umber final layer

Dead layer 1

Dead layer - final

Final colour layer

Final colour layer


No comments:

Post a Comment